Have You Become a Prisoner of War?
War is hell! Warriors are wounded, commandos are killed, and soldiers are taken captive by their enemies. Those who survive carry the battle scars and memories for a lifetime. Words to describe these military men and woman are HONORABLE, COURAGEOUS, BRAVE, SACRIFICIAL, VALIANT, TOUGH, LIONHEARTED, UNDAUNTED, HEROIC, and LOYAL.
The Bible opens our eyes to the battlefield and warfare that is constantly being waged all around us. The battle is real, but for the most part, it is unseen by the natural eye. But, one who looks intently at the Scriptures and the circumstances surrounding their lives will see that war is upon us daily.
Ephesians 6:12 (NLT) says, "For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places."
You are in a spiritual battle every day, and you may not even know it. You cannot win this battle using military weapons like tanks, guns and grenades. You win this battle by using these two military tactics from the Bible:
#1. Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. (Eph. 6:10)
The way you become strong in the Lord is by growing up spiritually. Exercise spiritual disciplines like Bible study, prayer, worship, fasting, sacrifice, and more. Get strong. Stop being weak! You don't win the World's Strongest Man Competition over night. You become strong in the Lord one day at a time growing your relationship to Jesus by becoming disciplined. Being too busy for spiritual disciplines may cost you your life!
#2. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. (Eph. 6:11)
It's preposterous to go to battle without proper armor. Too often we engage the enemy with no armor. We get hurt and blame God. We get wounded, and God receives the brunt of our anger. We are taken captive and tormented by our enemy, and in our immaturity, we cannot understand why God would allow this to happen. If you have been living without God's armor, you may have been taken captive by the enemy on the battlefield.
How do you know if you are a P.O.W.? Answer these questions:
1. Do you regularly feel a dark cloud over you, your family, your finances, or your home?
2. What negative voices are regularly going through your head about yourself, your identity, your body, your loved ones, other people, your career, your past, your future?
3. What sinful habits are your falling into like pornography, alcohol, prescription drugs, etc?
4. Have you notice your body is regularly sick with headaches, digestive problems, injuries?
5. Do you have overwhelming problems with an eating disorder, depression, anxiety, fear, suicidal thoughts, anger, etc?
If you answered 'YES' to any of these questions, you might be in prison. I suggest you ask Jesus. He loves you and wants you to live in freedom. Stop right now and pray this, "Dear Jesus, have I been taken captive by my enemy in any area of my life? Jesus, open my eyes to see where my enemy has taken me captive. Jesus show me now if I am a Prisoner of War."
Now, stop and listen.
If you have been taken captive by your enemy, there is hope! Jesus came to set the prisoners free and freedom is available to you now, today! Jesus is way more powerful than our enemy so don't be afraid or ashamed if you got yourself in a bad place.
Here's some quick steps to freedom from the enemy's prison: (Open your Bible and read Psalm 107. I like the New Living Translation.)
1. Jesus can set you free today, but you must ask. (Read Psalm 107. Especially hone in on the part where the people cry out, "LORD, HELP." Cry out to Jesus, Lord, Help!)
2. Jesus can set you free because that's what He does. (Read Psalm 107. Especially verse 10-16. Luke 4:18 is a great verse too.)
3. Jesus can set you free because He wants you to go rescue other people in prison. (Read Psalm 107:1-2)
I love seeing Jesus open prison doors, and people walking out free. If you need help or have questions email me at email@example.com